Files and Registry
Online Armor's File and Registry Shield's protect your sensitive files and registry keys from being read, deleted or modified by malicious programs. In addition the File and Registry Shield's protect against the creation of files or registry keys in user-selected locations.
If an Unknown program tries to create, delete, modify or read a file or registry key in a location that matches a rule, Online Armor will alert you to this behavior, giving you a chance to Allow or Block it.
Trusted programs are Allowed to take these actions by default and Not Trusted programs are Blocked from taking these actions by default.
Note: To access the File and Registry Shield's you must be working in Advanced mode. Online Armor's File and Registry Shield's are not activated by default and must be enabled from the Options tab.
Files List and Registry List
Both the Files list and the Registry list are organized using a table with the following columns:
- Name – Show the group name and the name of all the rules in each group.
- Active – Shows a light bulb if the rule is active.
Entries in the Files list and Registry list are displayed in a “tree” format. Each group is shown with a box with a "-" next to it (which will collapse the folder to a single entry and turn to a “+” if clicked), and will show a line connecting to the indented items in the list that are the rules within that group.
Each row is color coded to indicate whether the entry is one of the centrally defined rules (green), a user defined rule (yellow), or an inactive rule (gray).
A legend showing the colors and their corresponding status can be displayed by clicking on the Legend link above the table.
Files List and Registry List context menu
You can right-click in the Files list and Registry list to access the following options:
- Add group – Allows you to create a new group to assign rules to. Groups allow you to sort your rules into categories for convenience.
- Add rule – Allows you to add a new rule to the list.
- Edit – Allows you to modify an existing group or rule.
- Delete – Removes the selected group or rule from the list.
The Options tab contains the following items:
- Activate File Shield – Checking this box will configure Online Armor to provide file protection.
- Activate Registry Shield – Checking this box will configure Online Armor to provide registry protection.
- Notify about blocked events – Changes whether Online Armor displays a balloon tip to let you know when an action was blocked by either the File or Registry Shield.